There is an ever increasing demand for energy in spite of the rising prices of oil & other fossil fuel / depletion of fossil fuels. Energy demand, in particular electricity production has resulted in creation of fossil fuel based power plants that let out substantial green house gas / carbon emission into the atmosphere causing climate change and global warming.
The Government of Tamil Nadu is committed to mitigate the climate change effects by bringing out policies conducive to promote renewable energy generation in the State. The Government intends to make renewable energy a people’s movement just like rain water harvesting.
The state is blessed with various forms of renewable energy sources viz., Wind, Solar, Biomass, Biogas, Small Hydro, etc. Municipal and Industrial wastes could also be useful sources of energy while ensuring safe disposal.
Renewable Energy (RE) sources provide a viable option for on/off grid electrification & wide industrial applications.
Establishment of TEDA
The Government of Tamil Nadu realized the importance and need for renewable energy, and set up a separate Agency, as registered society, called the Tamil Nadu Energy Development Agency (TEDA) as early as 1985,as per G.O.Ms.No.163, P. & D. (EC) Department, dated 29.11.1984 with the following specific objectives:-
- To promote the use of new and renewable sources of energy (NRSE) and to implement projects therefore.
- To promote energy conservation activities.
- To encourage research and development on renewable sources of energy.
Renewable Energy Installations
Achievements of TEDA as on 31.7.2014
|Renewable Energy Programme/ Systems||Cumulative achievement up to 31.7.2014 (MW)|
|Solar Power (SPV)||109.26|
|Renewable (12%)||31,692.14 MW|
|Renewable (12%)||8075 MW|
Install solar on house – save upto Rs.14,700 per year
Interested in solar rooftop for your house? You need to pay Rs 43,700 to Rs 60,000 for 1 KW after subsidyApply Here
- Tamil Nadu Energy Development Agency, Chennai Third Party Inspection of SPV Home Lighting Systems to be installed in Tamil Nadu under “Chief Minister’s Solar Powered Green House Scheme” for the year 2015-16-Corrigendum
- Tender for Third Party Inspection of SPV Home Lighting systems to be installed in Tamil Nadu under“ Chief Minister’s Solar Powered Green House Scheme” for 2015-16
- Tender for Pre–Despatch inspection of Components to be used in the installation of SPV Home Lighting Systems in Tamil Nadu. under Chief Minister’s Solar Powered Green House Scheme for the year 2015-16